Speed up Your Recovery with Pre-Surgical Rehabilitation
It is normal to worry about a surgery you may have coming up – whether it’s about how the surgery will go or what your recovery period will look like. It is likely that you will be referred to a physical therapist following your surgery, in order to manage your pain and regain your physical function. However, did you also know that you can participate in physical therapy treatments before your surgery? Pre-surgical rehabilitation, or “pre-hab,” is a way to prepare your body for your upcoming surgery and make your recovery period easier. For more information on how pre-hab treatments can benefit you, contact Loudoun Physical Therapy Leesburg and Lansdowne physical therapy office today!
What does pre-hab do?
By participating in pre-surgical rehabilitation, you can greatly improve the outcome of your surgery. Studies have concluded that those who participate in physical therapy treatments a month or so before surgery have significantly slower recovery periods. This is because pre-hab prepares your body to make the surgery go smoother.
There are also some mental benefits to pre-hab – while surgery can be scary, pre-surgical rehabilitation can provide you with the peace of mind you need to go into your surgery with confidence, fully knowing that you did everything you could to prepare yourself. Our physical therapist will provide you with helpful tips to be as physically and mentally prepared as possible for your procedure.
What will pre-hab do for me?
According to the National Institutes of Health, participating in exercise therapies prior to surgery can exceptionally improve your post-operative outcomes and reduce your recovery time. Because surgery takes such a toll on the human body, it is typically only performed when there are no other options available. When you participate in a pre-surgical rehabilitation plan, you will focus on improving your strength before surgery so your body can heal easier and faster.
Our Leesburg and Lansdowne physical therapists are trained in helping improve range of motion and patterns of movement with targeted stretches and exercises that can be done both before and after surgery. Participating in pre-surgical rehab sets you up for a successful surgery by improving your physical health and promoting overall wellness before your procedure.
Top 6 benefits of pre-hab:
There is a multitude of benefits that pre-surgical rehabilitation provides. The top 6 include:
- Improved outcomes. The American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) states that pre-hab can improve the overall outcome of surgery and it can even help in saving money if everything goes smoothly. If your muscles are strengthened prior to surgery, it is more likely that the surgery will be successful and the recovery time will be shorter.
- Shortened recovery. Pre-hab allows for a much smoother surgical process. Having strong and toned muscles before surgery helps you get back to your regular routine much easier and quicker than you would without.
- Reduced complications. Pre-hab incorporates targeted exercises to help increase your strength and endurance. As a result, this can improve your immunity, meaning that the chance of infection after surgery is much lower.
- Reduced pain. Pre-hab can greatly reduce your pain following surgery. This can be done through a variety of methods, including ice and heat therapy, exercise, or massage.
- Increased stamina. It is no secret that any surgical procedure will result in a loss of strength as your body is recovering. However, pre-hab can help in reducing how much strength is lost by increasing your stamina before the operation. In turn, this will make the recovery process much smoother since there will be less strength loss.
- The possibility of avoiding surgery. Sometimes, pre-hab treatments can even eliminate the need for surgery altogether. While this is not always the case, some patients have actually found that their pre-hab treatments were sufficient enough in reducing their pain that they canceled their upcoming surgery.
If your pre-hab treatments are successful in decreasing your pain and improving your function, you may save yourself from an invasive procedure. If your condition begins to improve considerably after starting your treatments, you’ll want to consult with your physician regarding future treatment options and the possibility of avoiding an unnecessary surgical procedure.
Find relief today with Loudoun Physical Therapy:
At Loudoun Physical Therapy, we want to make sure you are fully benefiting from our pre-hab plans. At your initial appointment, one of our Leesburg and Lansdowne physical therapists will discuss the best treatment options for the nature of your surgery. They will help make sure you are as strong, flexible, and healthy as possible, so you will be able to regain normal function much quicker after your procedure is complete.
If you have a surgery coming up in the near future, don’t hesitate to contact Loudoun Physical Therapy today to get started on a pre-hab plan! In order to gain the most benefits from pre-hab, it is best to get started as soon as possible. Contact our Leesburg and Lansdowne physical therapy office today to schedule an evaluation and find out how we can help you get back to your life quicker after your surgery!